The classes at the English Language School in Boston are divided into 6 main levels:
- Pre Intermediate
- Upper Intermediate
- Advanced I
- Advanced II
To determine your appropriate level for our English courses, you will take a placement test during Orientation Day. The placement test consists of a writing section, a listening section, and a short speaking section.
Below is a summary of the main topics covered in each of the six levels in our English Language classes:
- Simple vocabulary: self, house, job, family, etc.
- Present tense of verbs "to be" and "to have"
- Respond to basic greetings
- Give and receive directions to any location
*Before you register, please contact us to determine if your level of English is sufficient for the Beginners course. Boston Academy of English does not normally offer group instruction to "true beginners".
- Verb tenses: simple present, present progressive, past
- Prepositions of time and place
- Describe events in the past
- Practice correct word order in questions
- Past simple regular/irregular verbs
- Verb tenses: future simple , past progressive, present perfect
- Use present and past tenses in conversation
- Give 3-minute presentation in class
- Verb tenses: past perfect, all perfect progressives
- Comparatives and superlatives
- Participate in discussions of current events
- Phrasal verbs; passive Voice
- Complex sentence structures
- Interview a native speaker of English on a variety of topics
- Give a 5-minute presentation to the class
- Summarize and discuss full-length movies
- Research paper
- Reported speech
- Conditional sentences
- Perform a communication project such as interviews, mock TV show, presentation, etc.