Explore the teacher training section to find out more about teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) - our courses include Teachers of English refresher course, Cambridge CELTA and DELTA.
Teachers of English refresher course - TEC (Teachers of English Course) is a teacher development course for practising teachers of English from all over the world, who would like to improve their English for professional and personal reasons.
CELTA - The Cambridge RSA CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is by far the most widely recognized international teaching qualification for teachers of English. The CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) course, taught by highly qualified instructors with extensive EFL teaching experience, provides intensive, practical training for Teaching English as a Foreign Language to Adults.
Entry criteria for UCLES CELTA:
- Applicants are usually university graduates or at least have a standard of education which would allow entry to higher education in their country.
- All applicants are interviewed individually at the school or by telephone.
- All candidates selected for interview will be interviewed at the school by one of the teacher trainers. The aim of the interview is to inform applicants about the course at this centre and to assess both the suitability of the applicant for the course and the suitability of the course for their career plans. This assessment will be through the completion and subsequent discussion of pre-interview tasks. Assessment criteria reflect the demands of the CELTA course and of teaching English to adult learners in a language school.
CELTA is a full-time course that lasts four weeks. It is very intensive with over 120 hours of training. Each participant teaches a minimum of 6 hours during the course. All applicants, whether native or non-native speakers of English, must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to undertake the course.
Our school has a team of experienced trainers committed to providing a supportive educational atmosphere with an emphasis on individual attention.
The CELTA course syllabus, as defined by the University of Cambridge, is designed to help candidates:
- Develop an awareness of language and the description of English and apply these in their professional practice.
- Develop an understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner.
- Develop a familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English.
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom.
- Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference.
- Identify opportunities for their own future development as professionals in the field.