Italiano all'opera is a course offering both the enthusiast and the curious the opportunity to get closer to the wonderful world of stage opera in all its different aspects. The opera originated right here in FLORENCE at the end of the 16th century, and looking closely at the historical, social and linguistic implications as well as at its internal mechanisms and true weight in our contemporary society, is like opening a new window onto the panoply of Italian culture.
The course lasts for 1 or 2 weeks and consists of an Italian language course in a group for 4 hours a day, Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 1 pm. In the afternoons there are 6 opera activities (3 activities each week).
- Monday: musical orientation tour including visits to important sites and venues of the city
- Tuesday: brief history of Italian opera from 1602 until today
- Thursday: analysis of an Italian opera with examples on DVD (Rossini or Bellini)
- Saturday: free or possibility of joining excursions organised by the school
- Sunday: free or possibility of joining excursions organised by the school
- Monday: libretti (language of the opera)
- Tuesday: the voices (brief history on the vocal characters)
- Thursday: analysis of an Italian opera with examples on DVD (Verdi or Puccini)
- Friday: End of course; lunch at a restaurant with Florentine cuisine
If there is an opportunity to see an opera during the period of the course, our school will be happy to organize an evening at the theatre.