All courses are taught in English.
The School of Design offers an artistic and cultural reference point for students from all over the world to study Jewelry Design. Take advantage of the long-standing tradition in jewelry making here in Florence and the region of Tuscany, where high quality art objects are still produced and receive international acclaim. Compare your work with other artisans, artists and traditions found throughout the world in this decorative, symbolic field of art.
Start with the history of jewelry design, paired with engraving techniques, stone cutting, and the chemical make-up of different elements. Learn how to drill, file, weld and shape materials, and all the other steps between, before finally receiving the satisfaction of polishing and setting precious and semi-precious stones in your finished product. This whole process constantly refines and enhances your knowledge and skills until you are finally able to express your own individual creativity and create your own collection.
Jewelry Design Study Abroad Program in Florence.
Jewelry Design courses offered in Florence (each course is 3 credits / 45 hours):
- History of Jewels and their Symbolism
- Jewelry Design I
- Wax Carving and Casting Techniques
- Jewelry Making I
- Introduction to Gemology
- Jewelry Design II
- Jewelry Making II
- Relief Works in Metal
- Alternative Materials in Contemporary Jewelry
- Collection Design for Jewelry
- Jewelry Lab and Technology I
- Silversmithing and Flatware
- Stone Setting
- Cool Hunting: Trend Forecasting and Market Analysis
- Advanced Workshop in Jewelry
- Working Group Project in Jewelry Design
- Portfolio Development in Jewelry
- Jewelry Lab and Technology II
You can enroll in a Jewelry Design Study Certificate Program (one year), Professional Study Certificate (one year), combine both Certificate programs (two years), or just select some courses for your summer or semester study abroad program in Italy.
Click here to review Dates and Fees