University Foundation Business English Course in Brighton, UK
University Foundation Business English Course (UFBC) is designed for students who want to prepare for a university first degree course in the UK and to gain entry onto a business related undergraduate degree at the University in the United Kingdom.
The standard course lasts for 36 weeks, but there is also a fast-track course of 24 weeks for students who have already achieved a good score in IELTS. The programme is intensive and includes 30 lessons per week in classes of a maximum of 12 students.
Our University Foundation Business Course is partnered with the University of Brighton Business School and Oxford Brookes University.
Lessons per Week:
- IELTS Preparation: 15
- English for Academic Purposes and Lecture Preparation: 5
- Key Subject Lectures and Tutorials: 10
Maximum class size:
An affordable business foundation course at a leading language school; recognised by two highly respected British universities. The UFBC has a record of good results, with successful placements in a selection of some of the UK's leading universities.
The main features of the course are:
The course includes English for Academic Purposes, which focuses on the special skills that you will need as an international student studying at a UK university. Such skills include essay writing, independent research, critical analysis and thinking skills, advanced reading and presentation skills.
- Pathway to a wide range of university degree courses
- A record of good results, with successful placements in a selection of some of the UK's leading universities
- Morning classes of intensive English practice, with IELTS Preparation (15 lessons per week)
- An afternoon programme of lectures in business-related subjects
- English for Academic Purposes and lecture preparation for university studies (5 lessons per week)
- An introduction to British academic methods and learning culture
- Expert academic counseling throughout the programme, and assistance with university applications
- Field visits, presentations by outside speakers, and lectures by experienced university tutors
Students will also develop their English language skills and prepare for the IELTS English examination, which is a condition for entry to university in the UK.
The standard course is divided into eight modules to be studied over the three terms of the course. Each term lasts for 12 weeks, which allows for 3 or 4 weeks focusing on each module, with a further 2 weeks for remedial work and revision.
In practice, students are likely to find their academic subject studies more demanding at the beginning of the course when their English language skills are less developed, so two modules are taught in Term 1 and three modules in Terms 2 and 3.
Most students will complete three terms of studies (36 weeks). Students admitted with an IELTS score of 5.5 or higher may complete the course in two terms (24 weeks).
There are eight modules plus one optional module on the course:
- Module 1: Business Basics
- Module 2: Classification of Business Organization
- Module 3: Business Economics
- Module 4: Marketing
- Module 5: Business Management
- Module 6: Introduction to Accounting and Finance
- Module 7: People in the Workplace
- Module 8: International Business
- Module 9: Business Law (optional module)
The UFBC university-style examinations include individual and group presentations, closed book written examinations, and individual and group assignments. Assessment is of the same standard and has the same criteria as that of UK universities.
By the end of the course you will be expected to reach IELTS 6.5 and to achieve a minimum "Pass" grade in the UFBC Business Studies examinations.
There are four pass grades on the UFBC, which reflect the grading system in place in UK universities:
- 40% - 49% Bare Pass
- 50% - 59% Pass
- 60% - 69% Merit
- 70% + Distinction
The course is intensive and will require serious commitment from you.
We take our students' progress and welfare very seriously. Every student is assigned a study tutor, who is responsible for advising on all aspects of student life and study in the UK, and who is available to help with any problems or questions you may have during your course.
We offer regular counselling sessions throughout the course. This ensures that students continue to make good progress, and allows regular study planning to take place.
Every month a written progress report will be given to you and/or sent to your sponsor.
Professional academic counselling by independent specialists with a wide knowledge of UK and North American education is included in the course. This allows you to consider the full range of opportunities; you are not limited to a particular university. Academic Counsellors will guide you through every stage of the application process and help you maximise your opportunities.
100% of our UFBC graduates have gained a place at a UK university.
Recognition from the University of Brighton and Oxford Brookes University means that any student gaining the required grade (usually 55% or 60%), and an IELTS score of at least 6.5, would be guaranteed a place at either of these universities:
- Law with Business, University of Brighton Business School
- Business Management, University of Brighton Business School
- Psychology, University of York
- Foundation Course, Warwick University Business School
- Foundation Course, University of Sussex
- Business Management, London Metropolitan University
- Business Management, University of Sussex
Our students have already been awarded places at:
- Birmingham University
- Brighton University
- Bristol University
- City University London
- Coventry University
- Essex University
- Greenwich University
- Herriot Watt University
- Kent University
- Kingston University
- London Guildhall University
- London Institute
- The London College of Fashion
- London Metropolitan University
- Middlesex University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Reading University
- South Bank University
- Sussex University
- University College London
- University of the Arts
- University of London (Queen Mary College)
Other English Schools
in the United Kingdom: